Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Don't knock Aqua Fit

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit. Whenever I pass by the big open window displaying the pool at the gym and there's a "class" in there, I think to myself, "There's that old fogey class again that for sure couldn't do anyone like me any good and stink! Now I can't swim laps."

So this morning when it was the only class available at 9AM, and I was in the mood for a class (feeling a certain lack of self motivation), I had to swallow my pride a little, put aside my annoyances and join the ranks of flabby skin and wrinkly bodies. Heck, I'm half way there anyway.

It is true that I'm not in stellar shape like so many of you out there, yet I really didn't foresee the class being much of a challenge. Let's just say those wrinkles and sags showed me a thing or two. I discovered muscles I didn't know I had and am already 3 hours later experiencing a body in discomfort.

The dynamics of the class really are pretty funny. You've got the old lady in the blue swimming suit standing in her own corner, isolated from the class. Then there's the two gossips who mosey along chatting more than exercising. It was very cute. Not a lot of males, but a couple who to me didn't look at all like the Aqua Fit type, but more the body builder type. And finally, the cocky 28-year-olds like me who didn't realize they were going to need a defibrillator by the end of class.

But, I'm thinking that water exercise is making a come back and that you all should join me in this Friday's class!

8 comments:

Rob, Michelle, Luke & Harper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jana said...

I would like to join you especially as I am one of those old flabby and wrinkled ones.

Kathryn said...

I LOVED the Aqua Fit class when I was pregnant! Like you, I went in with a slight chuckle, but came out thinkin' it was my new fave. Just wait - it gets even better the more your belly grows.

Your kids look darling Amy!

Jene said...

that is too funny....cause the same exact day as you was my first day at the aqua class too (wed right?). so I got a great upper body workout....but for the life of me I could not figure out what to do with my legs under the water. they would not cooperate. so I went out and got leg weights to strap on for next time. I can't believe there will be a next time (and that I invested in this class...also got a cap and goggles)....but I felt oddly motivated to join the ranks of these old ladies.

Angie said...

I love aqua class! And my family made fun of me for it....glad to know someone gets their butt kicked by 65 yr old women

Amy G. said...

Jene' I love the thought that we're in this together! Awesome!

Amy G. said...

Mom, you'd be the one kicking my pettuti!

Jill Ison said...

that sounds like a blast. where is it though? i could def. use some aqua fit!