Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ebenezer Greer

Why does the most wonderful time of the year have to be the most insane time of the year? It doesn't feel like Christmas if we just hang out on our rears at home and miss out on all the seasons' delights: concerts, temple lights, boutiques, family parties, etc. And yet, that stuff makes me a little crazy. I'm looking for an expert out there that can tell me how to manage it; how to hold on to the traditions without going absolutely berserk.

I'm frustrated that two thirds of our children are already old enough to know exactly what they want for Christmas and fully expect that Santa will get it for them. I'm frustrated that the more they understand, the more about presents it becomes despite efforts to focus outwardly. And I'm frustrated that I'm letting it become about presents by stressing out over all the shopping. How sad is it that I'm already looking forward to the day they don't believe in the Fat Man so they can gain a little perspective into how the buying toys thing is linked to the Mom and Dad's budget thing?

Wow, I'm really starting to sound like a Scrooge. Maybe I could take a lesson from that literary fellow because seriously, I don't want to spend the holidays stressed and yelling at my kids...or in chains for that matter.

I'm thinking my biggest problem is having grand expectations of how this Christmas Season will go. Throw that out the window and maybe I'll be okay. It's worth a try. Not that we'll quit it all; I'm just going to enjoy the things we can show up for and not worry about the rest.

And with that I'll post some pics of the kids I took for Christmas cards (another stressful event that I'm trying to forget about).








Char loves that "ooster" (rooster) necklace she's wearing, and has been wearing for probably a month now.




So the most stressful thing about these pictures is that the red barn looking building is actually the cutest chicken coop ever located at a friend's house (so grateful she let me come use her backyard!). That doesn't sound stressful until you consider my kids were absolute sissies about the chickens. Charlotte was really freaking out and the other two weren't keen on them either. And the things don't exactly leave you alone to go about your business either. They were a little pesky. Ironically, the picture I love best (didn't post...it's our Christmas card!) worked out so nicely because they were keeping their eyes on the chickens. Really I ought to be thanking them. Anyway, I'm glad that's over with and next year I'm looking forward to a real photographer to take charge (that would be you, Jill!)

8 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

Cute pics Amy...I've been wanting to use my brothers yard for pictures too- I love their chicken coop and fallish trees! I agree with you about the whole Christmas thing, too- I don't know how my parents managed it all those years!!!!

Jill Ison said...

haha those are so cute Amy! Christmas photos are the hardest to get. I don't know what it is about them but no kid ever cooperates as you'd like them to. can't wait to see you card (hint hint... hope i get one :)

Cherylyn said...

Loved your Christmas card we got today! and all of these pics. We decided to limit the number of gifts for each of the kids to 5. Last year seemed a little gluttonous, so we decided we needed a change beginning this year. I think we all need to learn to just say no more and not feel guilty if we don't go to every party we and our kids are invited to. Our kids will remember the time spent at home and serving others...the rest of it is fun, but it really is just filler and not as important as just time spent together at home making the traditions there instead of outside of it. That's my two cents! Now, if I can just figure out how to implement all that...hmmm...

Rob, Michelle, Luke & Harper said...

Oh so true. I love how real you are Amy. That is one of my favorite things about you. I feel like I loose myself in the hussle and bussle of Christmas while the true Christmas moments (those centered around Christ) slip through my fingers.

Cassi said...

Your pictures are SO darling! And the Christmas card is the cutest! You have such an eye for phtography! I'm with you on the "not getting caught up" thng. This year has been much simpler for us (read: broke), but it HAS been helpful that my kids are older and they get it. We decided that we will each give each other ONE present, and we are focusing on givfts of service (for each other and for others) and events that renew the spirit and/or traditions of Christmas. Now that this week is over (finals) I'm looking forward to just enjoying the ambience for the next couple of weeks!

Kathryn said...

Amen with your comments on the holiday thing. Although, when your kids stop believing, it is a little sad.

I love the pics of your kids! The lighting with Ellie in the leaves is beautiful.

Where's our card?

Amy G. said...

It's coming! Wanted to drop by a treat with it :)

Angie said...

Those pics are adorable! My sister's tv broke and she says that her kids don't even know what to ask for Christmas. She is amazed at how the tv decided their gifts for so many years!