Monday, August 23, 2010

Random

Part of what has taken me so long to blog is trying to organize it all. So I decided not to try and instead just get it done.

School and the craziness has begun. Trying to have a good attitude about that. Our California trip was amazing and I'll soon have to post, but meanwhile Jill wrote a sweet post about it here.

Lately I've been chuckling at the funny things the kids come up with.

Char: "Mom, can I please change my name to Ellie?"

Me: (heartstruck) "Why? Charlotte is a beautiful name."

Char: "No it's not. Charlotte is a silly name." (Keep in mind, everything is silly to Char. The girl at the mall who's hair was blue and who's ear had a thorn through it was silly. Sadly, the only comment Charlotte made to her was, "Why isn't your hair purple? I'd like mine purple.")

On to first day of school pictures...

First day in the first grade.


First day of Kindergarten!


Charlotte was not happy to see Ellie go.


Reconciliation.


Child #2 handed over to the public school system.

I think over all Ellie's first day of Kindergarten was a huge success. Well...there was the "Meet the Creature" night where in Ellie's words the teacher was "...kind of freaking me out." Oh yes, and the fact that she was accidentally sent home on the bus the first day of school in place of an Eliza. So maybe it was just a memorable first day of school!

Moving on with the randomness...

Last night the girls' dinner conversation turned to 'What I want to be when I grow up.' Ellie wants to be a "Put cute princess paint on your cheeks and make your hair and put on a dress and put on shoes--I mean slippers, maker." All this in addition to her previous desires to be "...a mom, a hair maker and a ballet teacher." Char's ambitions are no less impressive. She wants to be a "...mommy baby diaper changer." Oh, and a ballet teacher just like Ellie. No surprise there.

Also last night Jonah and I had a "discussion"on why he hasn't gotten the Wii back yet. When I tried to provide him with an explanation he slapped his hands over his ears and exclaimed, "Why don't you just stop this nonsense and give me the Wii back instead!"

Today Jonah redefined The Golden Rule: "I'll be mean to you if you are mean to me."
It's not exactly the way we've taught it at home. And for sure not the way it goes in The Bernstein's Bears: The Golden Rule (courtesy of Chik-fil-A).

Charlotte: Upon waking up from her nap, still laying in bed. "Mommy! Wake. Me. Up!"

I really do love my kids. I can't help it if most of what makes me laugh, makes them cry. That's just the way it is. It could be worse. We could both be crying.


4 comments:

Erika said...

Oh Amy. Hilarious. Yes, I sometimes find myself laughing at my kids' pain also. Much better than crying ;-) Your kids are growing up!!!! They are so cute! Miss you. We have got to get together soon.

julie Greer said...

I love this Amy! It makes me feel closer to them to hear their stories and see their pictures. Thanks for being brave enough to share everything. I love your blog. I think my favorite pic is Charlotte missing Ellie. So sweet! I need to see sweet Hazel when you have time! I can just see Jonah with his hands over his ears--very much like his father, but I think Jonah is sweeter. Love you tons!! Mom xoxoxooxoxoxox

Leah Miller said...

So funny!!! I will say I am excited for the day when I can send a kid or two off to school (longer than a hour). :-)

jana said...

Thanks Amy. I need to hear and see those precious things!!! especially right now when my heart aches for some. keep on postin'

love you!!!2 lbs cot