Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Good Day

So, I was reading through my last post and decided that was too much of a downer to leave the most recent post. I've rediscovered how important it is to have my kids work right along side me, or rather for me to work with them as was the case today. Lately, if I get the dishes done it's because Jonah has asked if we can do the dishes. I figured I better jump all over that while it lasts. I used to rinse, and he'd load but because it's so much more fun for him the other way around, I've given in to the watery mess and have let him do the rinsing. Today, after we were done he paused on his way out to play to say, "Thank you for letting me do the dishes, Mom." Uh....okay. I'll take it.

So then later, or earlier I guess, he was helping me fold laundry and I taught him how to turn the clothes outside-in. Who would have thought something so menial could make a kid so happy? It was like Christmas morning! Ellie's job was to carry the piles (that are no longer piles when she's through with them) upstairs to their rooms. Yeah, she's still in the "not-so-helpful" helping phase, but it is pretty cute. It's nice that Jonah can be quite competent when he puts forth the effort. It gives me hope. And Charlotte--well, we'll give her a while yet to prove herself.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

awesome....I say it's fine (and healthy) to express your feelings like you did in the last one! it was fun to read about your experiences with your kids as well though. it's good that we have those moments too. what a sweet thing for jonah to say "thank you" after he helped you with chores!

Elizabeth Moon said...

wonderful. I am totally inspired!

littlest said...

love it. will has gotten excited when he can pair up the socks for me and the laundry. it made me realize i need to have him do more things to help me...because he really can! and since mary follows in his footsteps perhaps she will have the desire to help rather than destroy soon!

Melissa said...

awesome... that's what i call slaves-in-training. ;)

Melissa said...

hey... what is your email? i have a question to ask you.

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Weir said...

Welcome back to the good state of AZ. I heard you got a house over in Higley Groves. Congrats