Monday, October 15, 2007

Something Different

I'm breaking protocol here and posting, yes...a recipe! For those of you who know me very well know that there's no reason I would ever have to suggest a recipe of my own making. I am neither a good cook or a creative one. Certainly nothing I could cook is worth mentioning. BUT, since Josh cooked this one (yes, I do have the best husband in the world), it gets a post.

It does require an overnight marinade, but it is SO worth it. I LOVED this meal! And be careful with the habaneros. Use gloves or a plastic bag or something to protect your hands...seriously!


Jerk Chicken

3-5 pounds chicken pieces (we used 6 chicken breasts, halved)
2 cups white vinegar, plus 1 tsp.
2 cups finely chopped green onions
2 habaneros, seeded and minced
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 Tbsp. lime juice
5 tsp. ground allspice
2 bay leaves
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
1 tsp. cinnamon

Rinse chicken pieces well in 2 cups of the vinegar, drain, transfer to plastic bag and set aside.

In a food processor combine remaining 1 tsp. vinegar, gr. onions, habaneros, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme, and cinnamon for the marinade.

Rinse chicken pieces well under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Add marinade to chicken pieces and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.

Grill for about 8-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through.

We served this with a slightly modified Lime Rice recipe of Jene's.

Lime Rice

In a large pot, saute:
2 Tbsp. butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced

Add:

3 cups rice
6 2/3 cups water (do half water/half chicken broth for more flavor)
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 tsp. cumin
2 small cans diced green chilies
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt

Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cover until rice is cooked.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there - your recipes sound great! I have to confess, I found your blog through a Google Blog Alert and was intrigued because my name is also Amy Greer and I have a husband by the name of Josh, who also cooks for us. I thought the coincidence was too unique to let it pass. It might even be fun to talk sometime! Best, Amy Greer

Amy G. said...

wow! that is an amazing coincidence! is there a way to view your blog? it'd be fun to see my twin life :)

Nicole said...

mmmmmm.....sounds good! And yes, even though I'll eat just about anything in sight right now, you (or Josh) can take that as a compliment....and I just noticed your "twin"....how funny.

Heather said...

We'll for sure try it! Thanks for passing it along. I get so tired of the same old thing every week.

Unknown said...

Hey there, sorry to have take so long to respond. Of course, come on over and check out our blog (I say "our" because everyone in our company contributes) at http://closed-loop-marketing.com/blog/.

I don't have a personal blog (yet), but please feel free to check out my bio here: http://www.closed-loop-marketing.com/amy-greer.php.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
The "other" Amy Greer :)