Saturday, June 21, 2008

Book Tag

Lolly did a book tag on her blog and I'm not sure I'm the Amy she tagged, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway. The deal is to list 10 of the most recent books I've read that I would recommend. I thought it was funny that Lolly had to go all the way back 6 months to get 10 that she would recommend. I may have to go back 10 years just to get 10, period. I'll do my best.

1. The Host. Stephanie Myer. I haven't decided if I'm a fan of hers yet, but this one was pretty cool for being an alien book. Definitely not typical and you've got to give her kuddos for the imaginative stories she creates.

2. Cold Sassy Tree. Olive Ann Burns. Loved this one. Great if you're wanting to read something witty and southern that will make you both laugh and cry.

3. The Alchemist. Paulo Coelho. Philosophical and a little out there, but I absolutely loved it. A story that encourages us each to discover our purpose in life and then have faith and courage to obtain that purpose.

4. The Good Earth. Pearl S. Buck. Okay so I didn't love this one because it was too depressing for me, but most people really do so I'm recommending it anyway (besides that I'll never make 10 if we're going to be strict with the recommendation thing). It was so well written and very interesting to learn of the Asian culture in an earlier century, but kind of a downer.

5. Journals 1986-2002. Amy L. Greer. "
I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train". (Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde)
This is actually really fun to do if you haven't recently. I've found that some things/people (namely me) never change. Well that's a little sad really, but I was mostly laughing!

6. Austinland.
Shannon Hale. Very light and girly. Nothing deep about it. Just a cute chick book.

7. The Peacegiver. James L. Ferrell. A book about the Atonement and forgiveness, this one's a life changer. Read it!

8. Before Green Gables. Budge Wilson. A prequel to the Green Gables series, this one is for you Anne Shirley fans out there...just a little more of Anne.

9. The Poisonwood Bible. Barbara Kingsolver. I'm actually still reading this one, but it has been highly recommended to me and I'm enjoying it so far. About a pastor and his family's adventures in the African Congo. It's probably about more than than, but like I said...haven't finished it yet.

10. Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen. Need I say more?

I tag whoever wants to take on this task!

7 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Haven't read The Host yet....wasn't a fan of the Twilight books, so I haven't rushed to get it.

I adore the other three books you posted though. All great ones! :)

Amy G. said...

well, i did actually make it to 10...i just accidentally posted it before getting there. you'll have to share your list! i know you read a ton!

Rhonda said...

Hey Amy, we should have discussed books tonight. I almost asked if either of you were reading The Host and then didn't get to it. I'm only a few chapters in..I heard really different opinions on the book so I wasn't completely sure I wanted to read it. But so far, so good. The Poinsonwood Bible was one of my all time favorites which I recently recommended to a few people in our ward.

A couple more recommendations if you haven't read them are...

1. SnowFlower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See...it's heart wrenching but excellent.

2. These Is My words by Nancy Turner which took me a few chapters to get into but then I loved it.

3. A Thousand Spledid Suns which is definately not a happy book but very interesting to read with everything going on in the Middle East. Same author as Kite Runner which I haven't read.

You've probably heard of all of these but they are a few that stuck with me over the past few months.

Laurel said...

Yes, you are the Amy that I was referring to. I'm so impressed that you keep a journal, I need to be better at that! I've read some of the books and love them too and am excited to try the others!

Heather said...

I'm bummed because I was at the library tonight and was desperately trying to find a good book! I even saw a couple of the ones you recommended but hadn't heard anything about them.

Melissa said...

you really need to go to goodreads.com seriously, if you like reading, sign up. it's free. look for me.

The Birches said...

I am so happy to see you read "the alchemist". Paulo Coelho is awesome! I really enjoy his books. I made Dustin read the alchemist and he finished in a couple of hours, he loved it!