Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lost

No, not the TV show, but our daughter! Josh took Ellie to the D-backs game on Saturday, a daddy-daughter date that she had been looking forward to literally for months. After a little while of watching the game they headed to the playground/batting cages area with my nephew where Josh was standing in-between watching them both. After a while, Josh noticed he hadn't seen Ellie in the twisty playground tunnels recently enough, went to find her and found both her and the shoes she had previously removed gone. Gone. Not just around the corner, barely out of sight...gone. Panic then ensued. They found a security guard, were told to head to customer relations and right about then discovered via the walkie-talkie that an Ellie with her dad's name Josh had been found and was waiting at customer relations. I was so impressed to hear that she could at least tell them her name and her dad's...and SO glad this was not my experience. I think I would have been a hysterical mess, unable to think at all what to do, overcome with terror. Thank you Josh for finding her.

If you ask her now about the experience she's almost proud, probably because it has made her very popular and overly hugged/kissed. She likes to tell the story of how she was lost and even for a newly turned 3 year old has developed an uncanny ability for embellishment (can't imagine where she gets it....a Neville trait, surely :) ) Perhaps her favorite part to tell was what her daddy let her have for dinner..."lem nems." (translation...M&M's)

It's one of those stories she'll be able to brag about to her friends when she gets older--how she once was lost but now is found. For the time being we're just grateful to have her safely in our home and look forward to a day when we can relate those night's events without complete horror.

15 comments:

Erika said...

Sooooo glad you found her. I freak out if I can't see my kids around the corner at Wal Mart. I can't imagine what Josh was feeling. And way to go Ellie with all the right info!

Natalie still talks about "renember I was hit by a truck?" which happened about a year ago and she didn't actually get hit by a truck.

Lara Neves said...

Oh wow. I would have been a wreck, too. Glad you didn't have to deal with that. I start panicking in a major way when I lose track of them in the grocery store or something.

Glad all turned out well!

Destry said...

I don't think I would have told Heather this story if it was me. She would have KILLED me, plus never trusted me with a kid again!

Julie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you guys found her. I don't think I would have been calm either. Someone would have had to call security about some crazy screaming lady running around in the play area.

Annie said...

Oh my goodness, my heart stopped beating as I read this! How scared you must have been. I'm glad she's alright.

Jill Ison said...

How come I didn't know you had a blog? I read this whole page. You have some cute little stories. I love peeking into other peoples lives. Josh must have been terrified! So glad it all turned out ok!

Jill Ison said...

can I put you on my list of friends? I don't know how the friend adding thing goes, usually I don't ask but you seem to have been on the DL.

Amy G. said...

Destry, what makes it easy to forgive Josh is that this is SO much more likely to happen to me! Still, I think I could have done without knowing too :)

Amy G. said...

Jill, of course you can add me...if I can add you. Deal?

littlest said...

scary! so glad you found her. once i haven't seen my child for about 30 seconds i start panicking...i hate that feeling. we love you ellie!

Jill Ison said...

sounds good!

The Croft's said...

Amy, its Autumn. I saw your post on Tiff's blog and when I saw the 5 year reunion-- I figured it was you. How are you? Your babes are soo cute! Send me your email address and I'll invite you to our blog!

Amy G. said...

holy cow...autumn! how fun to reconnect. my email is frincesspubu@hotmail.com

can't wait for the invite!

Angie said...

I found your blog through Andrea's. Hope you don't mind. I need to get a blog for our family. Don't feel bad about Ellie.... Just last week I lost Spencer at Walt Disney World. I turned one way after a ride and he turned the other. Some sweet ladies bought him a sword to play with and they just sat still until Mike found him. Spencer had tears in his eyes. From that point on, he only wanted Mike. Hopefully I haven't scared him for life.
WE miss you guys! It is snowing in Utah! CRAZY but it will be 70* on Friday!
Angie Kelly

Amy G. said...

yes angie, you most certainly DO need to create a blog! it's so much fun...when i'm not feeling weighed down by the pressure of yet one more thing to keep up with in life :)

and i'm glad to hear we're not the only ones to lose children! poor spencer, and lucky for such sweet ladies. it's good to know that as a society we are generally all looking out for each other.

send me an invite when you get that blog up and running!