Thursday, January 31, 2008

For Dad

I think Dad would have loved that I have live things growing in my home and really it's no thanks to me. If any of you really know Josh, you know that he's passionate...about what? Well, for the time being, about orchids. His other passions include birding, fishing, paper, me (whoops...did I just say that!). Anyway, so here's about half our orchid collection and only one in the picture is in bloom. But look at that cilantro! I'm not sure what to do with it once it is fully grown...

Back to Dad...he was also a man of many passions. He was the ultimate gardener among other things. When he was diagnosed a few years back with cancer, being the optimist he was, I think he was at least happy that he got to quit his job and finally spend some serious time doing what he loved. Anyway, looking at my window sill this morning I thought of Dad so here are some pictures of him and his passions.

Dad in his Queen Creek garden


Dad with his sweetheart


Dad working in the Gilbert backyard


And all the boys helping...(left to right) Alden, Josh and then my brothers: Ben, Andy, Nate, Dad and Kenny (Todd, where were you?)


My window sill...Josh could tell you all the names of the orchids. I just know that my herbs are finally growing!


Didn't realize this when I married him, but as an added perk, I got all the best of my Dad in him. Love you Josh.

8 comments:

littlest said...

k---i don't know why but i got really teary-eyed reading this. wish i could have met your dad. i love that you got the best of your dad in josh!

sure miss you

Heather Weir said...

I miss your dad. He was an amazing person I remember him just planing tree's from branches in the Wilcocks yard. He certainly did have a green thumb. I remember him coming over when we were all home alone and thought we saw someone outside our door. I always felt safe when I was around your dad. Thanks for adding the pictures of him.

Melissa said...

OH! That was a really great post. Just seeing those pics of your dad were so wonderful. I think about him often. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

And BTW - tell Josh that in CA, the rich and snotty have orchid babysitters. Oh yes, it's true. They send their orchids to babysitters, and when they are about to bloom, they go and pick them up. You could do that with your herbs... send them away until you're ready to harvest them... well, I guess that would be the same as going to the grocery store. :)

Nicole said...

amy...what a beautiful tribute to your dad and to Josh. I loved this.

Cassi said...

Oh, how I miss Dad! I wish my herbs would grow so I could feel like I'm carrying on one of his greatests loves. I keep trying, and they keep dying. I forget to go out and water them--such finicky plants! I need them on an automated system, I guess.

Thanks for the pictures of Dad. They brought back such sweet memories!

Elizabeth Moon said...

I remember when you showed me that picture of your Dad. I love the picture of your mom and dad together. So cute. You look so much like her! I love this post.

Shawni said...

Amy that was such a sweet post. I'm sure your dad would be very pleased with the beautiful orchids.

KP said...

So I kept reading down your posts and... girl, you're breaking my heart with those pics and the "little girl" love you obviously have for your dad. He looks like a wonderful man.

Thank you for sharing it.