Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hijacked - Ragnar Del Sol

Amy is amazing! Several months ago she approached me about a relay race. This was not your mom's 4X100 relay, this was a knock-em-down, barf-it-up, cry-yourself-to-sleep Ragnar relay race approximately 200 miles from Prescott to Mesa. I can vividly recall the conversation:

Amy: Do you want to run a relay race?

Josh: I think I'll pass?

Amy: It will be fun.

Josh: Fun? Where the race?

Amy: From Prescott to Mesa?

Josh: Are those streets in Gilbert?

Amy: No, they're cities?

Josh: That's about a gazillion miles. I think I'd die.

Amy: We could do it together.

Josh: I'll watch the kids.

Amy: Actually, family is going to do that. However, we need some volunteers.

Josh: Do they have to run at all?

Amy: No

Josh: Are you sure?

Amy: Yes

Josh: We'll if you really need volunteers, I guess I'll do that. Too bad we can't run together.

Amy: We can find someone else to volunteer?

Josh: No, I'm committed. I'd hate for people to think I was slacking. Maybe next year.

And with that Amy began a dedicated training regiment involving daily runs for over three months. This weekend, thanks to the help of family and dedicated volunteers (without which the race could not happen), she ran the race. They started running at 7:00 a.m. on Friday morning and finished at around 4:00 p.m. on Saturday. Running through the night she always maintained a bright and enthusiastic outlook that is an example to us all. The kids an I are so proud. Because of her example, next year I'll see if there is a volunteer position that involves a light jog.

Congrats Amy. Congrats Yoggers. You've made us proud.

9 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Wow Amy! I'm super impressed. I couldn't do it.

And Josh...I'm super impressed with your volunteerism spirit. :D

Leah Miller said...

Great job Amy! I want to hear more about your race. I am running the Ragnar Wasatch Back this June (the race joni did last year). It kind of sounds the same. I volunteered Ryan to drive one of the vans since he has a bizillion excuses why he can't run!!

Elizabeth Moon said...

WOW! That is so amazing! Good job.

Trixie said...

Awesome Amy!!!! That is SO COOL! You've come a long way from our weekend runs in Williamsburg :) One of these days I'm going to run one of those relays. sigh, one of these days.

Jill Ison said...

Oh my gosh! Amy is awesome. I could never do that. nor would I like to. What an accomplishment. I am seriously so impressed. :)

Angie said...

You are CRAZY and AMAZING!!!! I can't believe that you ran from Prescott to Mesa! How many miles is that! When did you start training?

Amy G. said...

angie, before you think i'm superwoman, you should probably be aware that i personally did not run from prescott to mesa, but our team of 12 did. i ran something like 13 miles total...and not all at once. it really isn't as bad as it sounds (now that it's several hours later :))

Amy G. said...

leah, i'm totally excited for you to do the utah ragnar. i'm sure joni could tell you too that it really is a lot of fun!

littlest said...

WAHOO!!!!! you GO GIRL!! congrats on being done!!! aren't you so glad it is over?! ahahaha. you look totally awesome! i looked like roadkill after we finished. want to hear all the details of the no sleep, run, no sleep, run. you rock!